3 July 2020
In the framework of the “Silk Roads Heritage Corridors in Afghanistan, Central Asia and Iran – International Dimension of the European Year of Cultural Heritage” project, funded by the European Union the UNESCO Almaty Office is pleased to invite suitably qualified and experienced individuals to take part in a series of regional training for Silk Roads tourism guides from Central Asian countries.The training will be conducted by the trainers of the World Federation of Tourist Guides Associations (WFTGA).
The training is aimed to provide an opportunity for participants to enhance their skills and knowledge in:
1. Practical Tourist Guiding Skills
• Two-day Communication Seminar, which includes sessions on presentation skills, self-evaluation, structuring knowledge and tailoring the tour to the audience
• Guiding on a walk, a site and on a moving vehicle – as per requirements
• Guiding people with special needs – Tourism for All
2. Applied Knowledge and Cultural Studies
• Itineraries/tour plans and time management
• Conservation of sites and the Tourist Guides’ role
• Sustainable tourism development
• Group psychology
• Cultural sensitivities
3. Business Studies
• Tourist Guides’ role in tourism and guiding ethics
In addition to this course participants will be required to acquire knowledge about the Silk Road heritage corridors and associated UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Requirements for applicants:
• Tourist guides from Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan)
• Minimum 3 years of experience in the field of tourist guiding (required)
• A working knowledge of English (preferred) and/or Russian (required)
• Enthusiasm in sharing the heritage of the Silk Road
• Participation in all three phases of the training (required)
• Reliable Internet access and availability of / access to equipment (PC or laptop (preferred) or smartphone or notepad)
The training is comprised of three stages:
• Pre-course materials learning – August 2020
• Online training (September 2020).
• Face-to face training (spring/summer 2021, dates to be confirmed later) in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Total hours of online training – app.20 hours. The online platform to be used – Zoom.
Total hours of face-to-face training – app. 36 hours (6 days) including assessment.
UNESCO will cover the following expenses of the participants in the face-to-face training: accommodation, travel expenses and meal for the period of the training.
How to apply?
Please fill in online form, attach your CV in pdf and submit before 18:00 (Almaty time) on 26 July 2020.
Participants will be selected on competitive basis.
If the attempt to attach the CV was failed, please feel free to send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all dates of the training are illustrative and subject to final confirmation.
For further information, you can contact:
In English - email@example.com
In Russian - firstname.lastname@example.org
Permanent link: http://en.unesco.kz/call-for-applications-central-asian-training-for-silk-roads-tourism-guides